How to use
How to use – a short guide
Connecting & using the service
On the ‘connect to sli-now!’ page – Clicking ‘connect’ will take you to the video screen that connects to the on-line interpreting service
This is for the Deaf BSL user to see the interpreter – this is important (easy to forget but a must for the service to work!)
You will of course have to hear what the interpreter is saying – this can be through the laptop/Chromebook built-in speakers or by attaching a headset with microphone.
The communication process
- you speak to the interpreter >>> interpreter signs to the deaf person >>>
- deaf person signs to the the interpreter >>> interpreter speaks to you >>> and so on.
You will need:
- Laptop/Chromebook (with internal webcam/speakers)
- Headset with mic (optional)
- Username & Password
What you will see:
(1) By clicking on the ‘Connect’ link or button from the home page you will be be taken to the ‘Connect’ page – (2) click ‘Click here to connect’ (a new tab/window will open) – (3) enter your given username and password
Note: Your device may be set to start at step (2)
1. 2. 3.
(4) You may have to click ‘Allow’ – then (5) click ‘BSL Interpreter – (6) the On-line interpreter will appear – that’s it!
4. 5. 6.
Operational times: SLi-NOW! is a 24 hour service
Calls between 8am and 12 midnight – use the above ‘Click here to connect’ button.
Calls between 12 midnight and 8am – A specific number to call will be provided – an on-line interpreter will be available within 30 mins.
Note: Calls after midnight are only by ‘service agreement’